Anticipation

January 19, 2011

It's getting to be that time of year when the seed packets are pulled down and are accounted for.  Then we take all of our gardening books and study them!  And the compost is peered at to see if it's ready for usage. 
Yes, we do live in the city but there has to be SOMEWHERE to plant even a little something.  Our dear friends (who own and lived in our house before) informed us that they had a garden in the backyard and the front yard.  Well, we will too it looks like!
It is exciting to know that we can grow actual food- healthy food at that!  It is of course backbreaking work to till up the soil with the gas powered tillers but, like for everything there is a God given reason:

17. “Cursed is the ground because of you;
   through painful toil you will eat food from it
   all the days of your life.
18  It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
   and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
   you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
   since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
   and to dust you will return.”


There is something very lovely about watching something grow and then preparing in to the most delicious meal and set it proudly on the table before all to see.  Of course, I've never gotten to experience that sensation very often and I will blame it on our rock garden from when we lived in Tennessee last year!  It was absolutely filled with rocks and the dirt was more like red clay.  We were very new to farming then and yes, composting too did not come out as expected.  This year, we've read more and have learned more.  I think we are even more excited than usual since we know we have better soil and eager and older helpers!


I will in my next post give y'all crocheters the bathroom organizer pattern thingy.  It's been nice but not all our towels have been laced up (yet).


I'd better scat cause' I need to go and work on reading a gardening book and planning where our lettuce and radishes and such will be planted.

4 comments:

WillaFiveCents said...

I LOVE your blog! You're an amazing blogger!

~Willa

Gabby said...

Thank you soooo much Willa! I love your blog too!

Mammaw Lindsay said...

Gabby, you are a very good and interesting writer and I'm not just saying that because I'm your Mammaw.

Gabby said...

Thanks Mammaw! I love you.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment! I'll try to return the favor on your blog :-)