Lace Doillies

January 29, 2011

When I was about 6, my Nana began teaching me how to crochet.  I neglected my yarn and crochet hook for a while, but luckily, I picked them up within the last couple years and have found that "wow... this is actually fun!"  But anyways, a few months ago mama mentioned to me that she saw "A BUNCH of yarn for 10 cents a package!  But I never seen you use this kind, so I passed it up." 
*Gasp*
Upon further inspection, I found that it was lace yarn.  We went back and bought a few... well actually, quite a few balls and I picked up an old crochet hook that had been in the midst of bobbins and found with delight that I LOVE making doillies!
Then a friend asked me to teach her how to make these old fashioned dainties... I did teach her, along with her 2 younger sisters!  We had fun.  And I was really pleased that they wanted to learn this forgotten skill.
But unfortunately, lace doillie patterns can be VERY hard to understand.  So I was asked to write down the pattern...  Now that it was all written out, why not put it on my blog?  So I did.


 
Chain 6 and slip st. the first st. to the last st. to make a round

Chain 2 (counts as the first stitch) and 19 dc in the big hole you made out of the chain 6.

Chain 2 (counts as first dc) *dc 1 and then dc 2 in the next hole.* repeat from *-* join your last st. with the slip st.

Repeat the above 3rd paragraph.

Chain 2 (counts as first stitch) *dc and then chain 2 and skip a st and 2 dc in the next hole.* repeat from *-*

Chain 2(counts as first dc) and dc in the big hole chain 2 and 2 dc in the same hole.  *Chain 2 and 2 dc in the big hole, chain 2 and 2 dc in the same hole* repeat from *-*

Repeat the paragraph above.

Chain 2 (counts as first dc) and dc in the big hole ( that you made with the 2 chains between the 2 pairs of dcs) Chain 2 and 2 dc in the same big hole.  Chain 1 and go to the next big hole and 2 dc in it, chain 2 and 2 dc in the same hole.*

Repeat the paragraph above.

Alright, this is the somewhat tricky part.  See those green words above?  Increase the 1 to a 2 and do exactly as you'd do in the above paragraph except add a chain more to the green number.  And repeat the paragraph. 

So every 2 rows, you increase by one the green number, this keeps the doilly from cupping. 

When you reach the desired diameter, then bind off!  But I will suggest putting a sturdy or heavy border abround it like mine.  It seem to help it to lay flat.

Happy crocheting!

1 comment:

WillaFiveCents said...

wow, those are beautiful and AMAZING!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment! I'll try to return the favor on your blog :-)