Bread ::Recipe::

April 16, 2011

No, this really isn't my ideal but I think it'll work for now whilst I search for "the perfect" recipe. :)  This has actually been our traditional bread recipe for the last couple years- and believe me, it is really good. 

Aunt Teresa's Bread Recipe

1 1/4 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. water (lukewarm)
1 tsp. sugar

1 stick butter
2 c. milk

1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. flour

In a small bowl, combine the top 3 ingredients- DON'T STIR MORE THAN 5 TIMES!  Let it sit whilst you work on the other parts of the recipe for around 5 minutes.

In a small saucepan heat the butter and milk to a lukewarm.  It's difficult to get the butter completely melted and have the milk heated up without burning it all or getting it overheated.  So I simply melt the butter and add the cold milk in the saucepan- the butter likes to lumping up so whisk it so the butter doesn't clump and until it is lukewarm.

Mix the 1/2 c. sugar and salt and flour, whisk the butter mixture into it.  Stir the yeast mixture in and begin adding enough flour to make the dough form a ball- but it needs to be pretty sticky and wet.  Turn the dough onto a heavily floured counter and knead it for a couple minutes.  Ian calls it "flopping" the dough- it's become the kneading term when the children want to help :-)

Now cover it and keep it in a slightly warm place for an hour- or until it's doubled in bulk.  A few minutes before I put it into the oven I warm it up to about 150 degrees (Fahrenheit) so it's a nice heat for the yeast.  After rising time, shape it into loaves and again, let it rise for an hour.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until it's nicely browned at the top.  Take it out and let it cool on a (oops- what's it called) those little cooling thingy-ma-bobs.  Okay, I am going to remember... gosh, is it called a cooling rack?  I think it is- how silly of me.  Well anyhow, let it cool on a cooling rack and do a little good to yourself and smear a big pat of butter onto it-or jelly-while it's still hot.

God bless y'all!


I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment! I'll try to return the favor on your blog :-)