Down home

September 9, 2011

"Down home, where they know you by name and treat ya like family.  Down home, a man's good word and a handshake is all you need.  Folks know, if you're fallin' on hard times- you can fall back home.."  Ever heard that song?  It's a good song called Down Home by Alabama- gotta love those country singers.



It's just like I remember.  We drove up to our grandparents house {dirt road, of course}and Pappaw was standing by the house as always.  He hugged me like he always does- which is a tight bear hug- and said "Hey Gabbyella!  How you doing, dear?" then Nana is next- "Hey!  My darlin', how ya doing baby?"  All hellos are exchanged- my grandparents speaking in that lovely southern/Cajun accent.

It's just like I remember.  Our supper is always and I mean always homemade spaghetti sauce from scratch
and bubbling cheerily on the stove, homemade rolls are sitting in a little basket wrapped in a clean white towel, salad is on the counter with all the "fixins", and corn is a boiling to it's juicy goodness.  After supper is eaten- a long supper drawn out with funny stories, laughs, conversations, and oohing and ahhing over all the wonderful food- we clear the table, wash dishes, sweep, and clean in general.

 
Then.

We play cards.  We play solitaire altogether with a deck each.  I believe Nana's family made up the game where more then 1 player can play solitaire, but in any case, that's what we play.  Mama, Nana, me, Morgan, and Caelin are the regulars.  Ian will play sometimes, Aidan will watch, Pappaw and Daddy never play.  And the cards go flying and there are yells and shouts of laughter or indignation over who should get the 8 on the 9, and so on and so forth.  It's just like I've always remembered.  And I love every second of it.

After that, the Mississippi Mud Pie is pulled out.  It's cold and soft and simply delicious.  That's usully been our dessert because Nana knows that it is our favorite.  Maybe after dessert we'll do some talking and catching up, exchange funny stories and laugh over old ones.



And after that?  We say goodnight, and Nana squeezes me tight and says "Goodnight my baby."  And that's how it's always been and how I always want it to be.


Good day, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment! I'll try to return the favor on your blog :-)